Dual-award between The University of Manchester and IIT Kharagpur
The University of Manchester and the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur have partnered to offer a dual-award PhD programme in a variety of projects across the Faculty of Science and Engineering, with applicants spending four years across Manchester and Kharagpur.
Broaden your horizons, take advantage of the incredible opportunity to conduct your research in two countries and benefit from world-class academic supervision of two leading institutions.
Why undertake a dual-award?
- Embrace the challenge of living abroad in a brand new country.
- Form part of a talented cohort seeking to address challenges across science and engineering, and choose from a range of projects.
- Develop a global perspective and international fluency to benefit your future development, opening the door to exciting new job opportunities.
- Boost your intercultural skills and become part of a talented pool of prospective employees for UK academia and industry.
About the programme
The dual-award programme builds upon the strategic partnership that has been developed between The University of Manchester and IIT Kharagpur.
The partnership has capitalised upon the expertise, facilities and infrastructure of both institutions, and has been characterised by impactful research across a number of thematic areas including:
- Industry 4.0
Students enrolled on the newly launched programme can expect to benefit from the world-class academic supervision of two globally renowned universities as they spend two years based at each institution.
Competitive scholarship opportunities will be available for successful applicants to secure a varying degree of support including tuition fee sponsorship and top-up awards for living costs.
Further information - including details of how to apply and a list of available projects - will be published soon.
Open call for project proposals
Project proposals are now being accepted for consideration as part of the dual-award between The University of Manchester and IIT Kharagpur.
A maximum of 20 projects will be approved for potential students starting in August 2024. Applications will open for candidates to apply for approved projects at IIT Kharagpur during the week commencing 15 January 2024 and the application deadline will be Monday 4 March 2024. Interviews will take place during the week commencing 15 April 2024.
To submit your project for consideration, please check your project is eligible according to the below criteria, then complete this application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 4 December 2023.
In order to receive approval, the project must have:
- An agreed joint project supervisory team, comprising at least a main supervisor and co-supervisor from The University of Manchester and a main supervisor from IIT Kharagpur.
- Main supervisors who are both permanent members of academic staff of their respective institutions.
- Confirmation that the joint project supervisory team have agreed a project title.
- An agreed outline project plan with milestones and timelines showing the progression of the PhD over the 4 years.
- Confirmation from the joint project supervisory team that they have collective access to the resources, other than tuition fees and living allowances, to enable the proposed PhD project to be executed.
- Confirmation from the supervisory team of their availability to discuss with, interview and rank before 13 March 2024 candidates who apply to their project.
- The University of Manchester supervisors conduct the Export Control self-assessment for the project and undertake the necessary step to put an Export Control licence (if applicable) and they must have conducted a compliance risk assessment for the project (e.g. ATAS clearance and export control clearance) and put mitigating measures in place.
The following desirable characteristics will be used to rank proposals:
- Demonstrated extent of previous collaboration between the IIT Kharagpur and The University of Manchester supervisory teams
- Demonstrated strength of joint project supervisory team
- Demonstrated value added of the project arising from the collaboration between IIT Kharagpur and The University of Manchester
- Inclusion of co-supervisor from IIT Kharagpur on supervisory team
- Demonstrated (as evidenced by an appropriate letter of support or email) and extent of involvement of a suitable business, NGO or government agency partner
- Potential of research to address strategic research priorities of India, UK or global challenges
Funding for this dual-award programme includes tuition fees and standard living allowances at both institutions for all four years, including two years at UKRI minimum stipend rate while in Manchester.
Project proposals are currenty being accepted for consideration.
A list of available projects will be published here during the week commencing 15 January 2024.
To be eligible for this dual-award between The University of Manchester and IIT Kharagpur, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates may only apply for projects approved by the Joint Academic Board.
- For Indian residents, the programme is open to graduates B.Tech. or M.Sc./M.Tech. graduate from any Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) with a minimum CGPA of 7.5 on a scale of 10.
- For residents of other countries, it is open to graduates of Institutes/Universities within QS WUR of 500 (published in 2023).
- Candidates must be able to undertake PhD studies at IIT Kharagpur from July 2024 or as soon as possible thereafter with no requirement for a (further) visa to study in India.
- Willingness to travel to the UK to undertake 2 years of study based at The University of Manchester if such travel is permitted by UK and India governments.
- Hold or expect to obtain a 2:1 class honours undergraduate degree or higher (or international equivalent).
- Ideally holds a master’s-level qualification at merit or distinction (or international equivalent).
- Demonstrable excellent communication skills, including in English language, a proficiency in which should be demonstrably indicated by meeting the English language requirements and in particular securing an IELTS score of at least 6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in each component OR securing a TOEFL iBT score of 90 with no less than 20 in each component equivalent OR equivalent.
- For some projects an ATAS certificate may also be required.
- Fulfil The University of Manchester Faculty of Science and Engineering Postgraduate Researcher person specification:
- Educational background matches research project.
- Potential to form effective working relationships with a diverse range of people, including working inclusively and as part of a team.
- Potential to take the initiative, lead on projects, and be proactive in prioritising a dynamic, agile and diverse workload.
- Potential to develop understanding of complex problems, evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a given scenario, and apply in-depth knowledge to address them.
- Potential to develop expertise in new areas of the subject.
- Evidence of an understanding of the proposed area of research, including knowledge of current challenges and opportunities.
- An interest in continuous personal and professional development.
- Potential to communicate ideas and conclusions, verbally and in writing, clearly and effectively to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Preliminary knowledge of research techniques/track record of engaging with research.
- Commitment to principles of Equality, Diversity, Inclusion, & Accessibility in teaching, research, or experience.
There are three fully funded studentships available for suitable candidates to start this four-year programme, initially at IIT Kharagpur, in August 2024.
Candidates will need to meet all of the minimum entry requirements.
Applications will open during the week commencing 15 January 2024 and will close on Monday 4 March 2024. Interviews will take place during the week commencing 15 April 2024.
Further details of how to apply and available projects will be available soon.
If you have any queries about the programme, the application process or your eligibility, please don't hesitate to get in touch: