We're aiming to use our science to make a difference, engineer a better world and to use our knowledge and skills to make a significant contribution to the University’s social responsibility priorities.
Our research impact
When it comes to making a difference to the world, our science and engineering research speaks for itself.
We use our skills and knowledge to make a difference, engineer a Better World and to make a significant contribution to the University’s social responsibility priorities from addressing many of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, to efforts to improve social inclusion to our world-leading research in environmental sustainability.
You can find out more about some of our work in our Science and Engineering podcast; The Buzz, or by browsing our collection of blog articles below.
We're addressing some of the key scientific and engineering challenges of our world, in a series of podcasts aimed at those who just want to learn more.
Our latest social responsibility stories
We round up the latest blog posts from around the Faculty, demonstrating how our staff and students are making a difference to communities around the world. You can also see the social responsibility stories on our Science and Engineering blog:
- Guest post: proud in STEM
- The FIRS Environmental Research Station
- Encouraging meaningful science learning for all children
- World’s #1! FSE helps UoM top sustainable development chart
- The value of clean water – and working towards better access
- How FSE is 'choosing to challenge' this International Women's Day
- Girls into STEM – “Anyone can be a scientist”
- Guest post: Tyndall Talks – tackling the climate crisis
- Manchester’s fashion ascent – and the elephant in the room
- Mountain safety: student ambassador insights
We are passionate about inspiring the next generation of engineers, mathematicians and scientists with learning resources and events.
We are the home to SEERIH which brings together communities of teachers to develop their STEM teaching skills.