Join a collaborative and inventive research community, looking to solve some of the world's greatest challenges with dedicated projects across a wide range of specialisms.
Whether you're looking for a specific project opportunity, or the flexibility to define your own research, browse our study options and then get in touch with one our research staff to discuss their supervisory capacity.
Make a difference to an identified science and engineering challenge. Search our projects.
Get the most out of your PhD study with a funded placement at one of our Centres for Doctoral Training.
Postgraduate research programmes
We provide a wide range of programmes across our science and engineering subject areas.
Alternatively, see the programmes listed in each of our Departments:
- Chemical Engineering and Analytical Sciences - including catalysis and porous materials; process integration; and sustainable industrial systems.
- Chemistry - including biotechnology; and inorganic, materials, organic, physical, and theoretical chemistry disciplines.
- Computer Science - including computer systems engineering; data engineering; and software systems engineering.
- Earth and Environmental Sciences - including atmospheric sciences; ecology and evolution; palaeontology; and planetary science.
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering - including specialist programme options in electrical and electronic engineering.
- Materials - including biomaterials; fashion management and marketing; metallurgy and corrosion; nanomaterials; and textiles and apparel.
- Mathematics - including applied maths; financial maths; mathematical logic; probability; pure mathematics; and statistics.
- Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering - including environmental engineering; management of projects, and nuclear engineering.
- Physics and Astronomy - including astronomy and astrophysics; nuclear physics; particle physics; photon physics; and theoretical physics.
Find out about the bursaries, studentships and scholarships available to support postgraduate research.
How to apply
Everything you need to apply for your postgraduate research degree at The University of Manchester.
See the application checklist